Wappenshall Wharf

  • Wappenshall Wharf is very important for its architecture, industrial archaeology and social history.

  • It is believed that Telford himself designed the smaller warehouse as it bears many hallmarks of his work.

  • The two wharf buildings, built in the 1830’s have been listed Grade II by English Heritage.

  • The Shrewsbury Canal opened in 1797 and passed through Wappenshall mainly carrying coal to Shrewsbury

  • Of all the canals of the Shropshire Union closed by an Act of Parliament, only the Shrewsbury & Newport is not fully open. It is now under active restoration by SCNT.

  • After 1944, the canal and wharf passed first into the ownership of British Waterways and then into private hands operating as coal yard and then a truck repair site.

  • In 2008 SNCT submitted a planning application to prevent the owner converting the buildings to residential use which would have destroyed their heritage value, historic integrity and prevented restoration for canal use.

  • Because of its historic importance, Telford and Wrekin Council purchased the Wappenshall Wharf site in 2009 and granted a lease to the SNCT for 125 years to maintain and restore the derelict buildings and the East Basin. After many years spent raising the funding and to obtain Planning Permission and Listed Building Consents, the physical restoration began in the Winter of 2018. A dedicated team of volunteers has been working on the project every Friday and Saturday. All are welcome to join them!

  • Our Thomas Telford @ Wappenshall Wharf project will transform Wappenshall Junction into a Visitor Centre and a Community Meeting Place with a quality Cafe that will create a financially sustainable future for the wharf for the next 200 years.